Monday 9 May 2011

Hairstylists and relaxers

Am I the only one who has ever gone to the salon and then had the stylist apply the relaxer from the roots to the ends of my hair?

Well, I used to think that this was the best thing for my hair; in fact one hairstylist who I thought was pretty knowledgeable when it came to hair once said that because I have so much hair its best for the product to be applied from root to end. She said that this was the only way that my hair would ever get that "fresh relaxer" look. It worked; I would walk out of there with hair so relaxed that if it got wet I would look like a wet cat. The only problem was that I did not know that this person was actually doing some major injustice to my hair.

One is NEVER EVER supposed to apply relaxer from the root to the tip of the hair. Only the growth should be relaxed because hair that has been relaxed before becomes weak when relaxed over and over and over and...well you get it. Unfortunately when like me you have really thick hair, its difficult to always get the salon perfect look with each and every relaxer, yes the hair may be well relaxed but it won't look the same as that of my friends with not so rich hair.

The aim with relaxers is to straighten the growth, that's it. It should therefore not be applied on hair that does not have growth. Do you have some relaxer horror stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment