Friday 6 May 2011

What has not worked for my hair

As with everyone who is on a hair journey like mine (or any other for that matter), I have tried a couple of things that I had read about but some have just not worked for me. I guess what works for one person will not automatically work for another (me). Below are some things that didn't work:

1. I read once that using distilled water and olive oil as a moisturiser could keep hair well moisturised. I tried it and all it did was make my hair very very hard.

2. Apple cider vinegar rinse - I am really not sure whether this worked or not, however, I stopped using it because I am currently not employed and so I use the money that I get when I have freelanced for the really important things. What I remember though is that I once used too much vinegar in my rinse and my hair turned to hay. That was not pretty at all.

3. Wrapping the hair while drying - I have read a lot about this and decided to try it one night after washing my hair. When I woke up the following morning, it was difficult to comb my hair back as it had dried while being in a totally different direction. I decided then that it was not for me.

4. Sleeping with a plastic cap on my head - I read that in order to keep my hair soft and grow it, it has to be kept well moisturised, which I agree with totally. However, this person suggested that one should sleep with a plastic cap on the head as when you wake up its nice and soft, then you just use olive oil to moisturise...No no no thank you. this was not for me. My hair always became dry ( I did it for 3 days) and it started breaking.

5. Keeping my hair tied in a ponytail - the aim of this is to keep the ends hidden so that they don't dry out. This makes sense as when they dry out the hair starts breaking. In addition, when hair is let loose all the time it tends to rub against clothes which could cause split ends (this is not the only thing that causes split ends). I have been doing this for the past few months, and although I saw a difference in my ends, I also unfortunately saw a difference in my hair line...It started receding. YIP...I am now trying to grow my hairline back. To be honest I also found this to be boring as it limited my hairstyles (simply because my hair is of medium length).

As I said at the beginning of this post, what works for one person may not work for another, the above did not work for me, but I tried them because they make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment