Friday 6 May 2011

Washing my hair - Problem solved

The hardest thing about maintaining my hair has always been washing it. It would always be soft when it was wet, then I swear it would just turn into hay after being blow-dried. I never understood why that happened, I mean I understood that it was the blow drier, but what really baffled me was that they blow dried it at the salon but it wouldn't be so dry.

Anyways, I finally decided to let it dry naturally and changed a couple of things:

1. Firstly I changed my shampoo. I read that shampoo's with sulfates actually dry the hair, so I went in search of a sulfate free shampoo, and I found it YAY!!! It was in the form of the nu-Hair, Natril Shampoo. Its soap, chemical and colourant free, so its good for my hair. I found it to be a little pricey compared to the shampoos that i normally used, however, it was totally worth the price (just forgot how much it is).
2. Condition, condition, condition. Believe it or not (and I know that some of you also do it) I sometimes never used to bother with conditioning my hair after washes. At times I would just shampoo and dry. But then I read that conditioning hair is VITAL to hair maintenance and since starting my hair journey I have never done a wash without conditioning. I find The Body shop Banana shampoo to work pretty well on my hair, but the Organics deep conditioner has been AMAZING too. I normally mix the two with some oils: olive oil, macadamia nut oil, coconut oil, grape seed oil and avocado oil are just some of the oils that I have mixed my conditioner with and I found them to help make my hair soft, and the longer I leave the conditioner in my hair, the better it works.
3. I started using hair placenta - Its the nu-Hair placenta with conditioning agents and BIOTIN!!!! Hellooooo good hair!! I mean this is the stuff that hair dreams are made of. While researching hair maintenance and growth, I came across a lot of articles that stated that placenta and biotin were both good for hair, so you can imagine how excited I was when I found this two in one (well 3 in one considering it has conditioning agents).
4. I used the mpl hair oil on my scalp after my washes. Its got coconut oil too which is also said to be great for hair. The oil makes my hair nice and rich (as if my hair needed to get richer), and for some reason I find that my hair gets really soft when I use it together with the hair placenta. I have used both products on their own and they didn't work as well.
5. I decided to STOP using the blow drier after washes and just combed my hair back (with a wide toothed comb when it was 80% dry) and then let it dry naturally. I find that it doesn't get as hard as it does when I blow dry it after washes.

I am quite satisfied with these products so far, but because I am really into this healthy hair thing I will probably keep looking for more/different products, for instance, i would like to try a hair mask, just to see how it would work. Just hope that none of the products that I decide to try will ever make my hair fall! I would just die....

No comments:

Post a Comment